Followers

Monday 4 April 2016

The Magic of Books...






Tides of  War  a Novel by Stella Tillyard




Page 279/280

...and I Goya do my bit for the illustrious Monarch with my oils and brush...
they demand a crown and scepter...nothing equestrian  to annoy me (Goya did not like to paint horses!).. and I would not honour the King with the loyalty of a dog...and I rushed it out in fifteen  days..eight thousand reals for me...pretent to rejoice and so do I. 
But under the palace runs a river of blood, thick and scarlet...The monster of war will stride over the land, a pitiless colossus who devours all humanity.
And I Goya? I am past seventy, deaf and have money to make.

Page 328

...as he turned the lock in the heavy old door weariness crawled over him...One group of men imposed their will upon another by force. War never finishes...it never will. It simply moves about the world like the ocean current...now one country, now another...Why?...
to declare peace, to think it is ever possible? 
All that is folly.


A great Novel, families affected by wars like it was like it is and continues ..



No comments:

Post a Comment